Jeans are the genius of the fashion world this season, with new technologies making our denims just as intelligent as they are stylish.
You might think that building a functional and fashion forward wardrobe is a complicated thing to do. Actually, it is not. Despite the fact fashion industry offers a great variety of choices today you can get oriented in those easily and understand what is best for you. Read our tips below to make the first step to your new wardrobe!
1. Clear Out Your Closet. When you decide to build a functional and fashion forward wardrobe the first thing you should do is to clear out your closet. You should get rid of everything that is ill-fitting, worn out, or outdated. Throw away torn and stretched-out pieces as well as garments with spots you cannot remove. You will no longer need these.
2. Focus on basics. Basics are essential. They are those items you wear very often, those which you mix and combine with other pieces in your closet. These include: a little black dress, a pair of jeans, a white shirt, a pencil skirt, a pair of great trousers, classic pumps in black or beige color, flats, a cardigan, a simple scarf and jewelry, a high quality coat, and a stylish bag.
3. Go for neutral colors. We know you like bright colors but if you are planning to build a functional wardrobe you should pay attention to neutrals first. Neutral tones you should opt for: black, white, brown, grey, camel, navy and cream. These colors are easy to combine with each other and they always look great. Rely on them when you make your outfits and add one or two bright colors to enliven the looks.
4. Layers rock! Layering is great because you can easily transform your look from smart to casual, from night to day, and from cold weather to warm one. You should learn how to do layering effectively. Go for a dress with a blazer or sweater, a tank under a t-shirt, a shirt with a fancy (or austere) collar with a vest, etc.
5. Be careful with trendy pieces. Yes, we always talk about trends and how to pull them off but trends come and go and if you want to build a really functional wardrobe you should focus on basics. However, you can add a couple of trendy pieces to your closet every season to keep your wardrobe fashion forward and updated.
6. Pay attention to the fit. No matter how stylish or beautiful your garments are, if they don’t fit you look bad. It’s a rule you can’t break. Make sure that every item you buy fits you and flatters your shape.
7. Consider your lifestyle. You should build your wardrobe depending on your lifestyle. If you work outdoors and have to walk a lot skyscraper heels and a pencil skirt might not be the best option (but they will be great for someone with a desk job). Focus on pieces which will make you feel right in situations you get daily.
8. Fill your closet with pieces for different occasions. You can’t have a wardrobe made up of jeans and t-shirts (or classic pumps and dresses) only if you want to look appropriate at every event you have to visit. Make sure you own the following selection of clothing: formal attire, dress attire, casual attire, and work attire.
9. Show your personality. No matter how strict dress code at your work is you should show your personality. Don’t copy others or rely on the same looks all the time. Experiment and add personal touches to every outfit.
10. Have fun! Dressing is fun when you have a functional and fashion forward wardrobe. Mix and combine items, add color, accessorize and just enjoy the process!